Friday, June 10, 2005

Fuck Apple

Since the 80's I've been a hardcore Apple user. I admit I was attracted by the fact that they were and are the underdog. They also made and still make great computers. But all this loyalty to a company is a bunch of bullshit. They should be loyal to me. I'm the one who gives them all this money and defends them in heather Apple VS Windows debates.

So why all this rage. Well, it's been a long time coming so if you care to listen, read on. I owend a Lombard G3 Powerbook that I paid about $3K for at the time. About two years later I decided to upgrade it, so I bought a G4 processor upgrade, extra ram a MPG Decoder PC card and a fire wire PC Card. I wanted to edit video on it and run DVD studio pro on it. Well I just couldn't. The software wouldn't support the hardware. Now Apple charges so much for their shit that they should make the extra effort and support hardware upgrades. It's not like there's a ton of third parties making upgrades like in the PC world.

Anywho I gave up on the Lombard and a year later bought a G4 Titanium 17" Powerbook. I gotta admit it, best machine I've ever had. I edit video on it, make DVD's, mix live video, have a gazillion apps open at the same time and it hardly ever crashes. Then Apple comes out with Motion, the After Effects killer. As a video geek, I was salivating over this one only to find out that the video card that came with my $3,400 not even 18 months old machine does not support Motion!!

Do you see a pattern here, these motherfuckers charge you an arm and a leg for hardware that's not upgradable and then develop the apps that don't run and fairly recent hardware. So you are 'forced' to buy new gear every couple of years.

Next up: The Ipod. What a shitty piece of overpriced hardware. And hear the horror stories from people. A friend of mine is so thankful he bought the Apple Care extended warranty, because he has gone through 6 Ipods in 2 years. My wife bought me one as an engagement gift a year ago and the drive already went on it. The battery never lasted as long as they claimed. Yes, recently they lost a class action lawsuit but they want a receipt for items that are over a year old. My motherfucking IPOD is the receipt!

Last but not least, last week's announcement that Apple was going to suck Intel's dick. If you've been using Apple for a while or, just following their ad campaings, it always has been showing performance tests between Intel and Power PC. Apple claimed that even though the Megahertz on the PPC chip were lower than intel, it processed much faster than Intel. So what now, 'We were never at war with Eurasia'!, 'Ignorance is Strenght'!

Yeah, yeah, bitch, bitch, bitch, what the fuck am I going to do about it. I really can't believe it has taken me this long. I mean I switched my car for a vegetable oil car, withdrew from the corporate world, and try to live as far away from consumer culture as possible. You guessed it. I am going to make a slow but steady jump into Linux. Fuck you Apple.

4 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I played around with Yellow Dog linux on a g3 imac (partitioned the hard drive and configured to let you choose what partition to boot from upon startup). That was a while ago, and surely there's been some improvement, but being a novice wasn't easy. Find yourself a cheap beige g3 powermac or something similar to play with this on would be my recommendation. Mandrake has a PPC linux I've heard is excellent, but Yellow Dog has been supporting Macs longer I think.

Linux Newbie Admin Guide

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha you have got to be kidding me. If you want to do new shit with your old computer you need to upgrade. Nothing new here, it's just the way technology works. I buy a new PC every year and a half. Stop bitching and realize that the same thing would have happend if you were running Windows on a dell. USB issues, drivers, crashes, software issues happen on all computers. And if you think you will have a smooth ride using Linux... good luck bub.

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on with this one man. I was a big Apple fan for about 2 years, even worked for them for a while in college. These days they're just overpriced intel machines that tend to force themselves into obsolencense real quickly.
I'm switching over to Linux too. Those Dells with Ubuntu pre-installed don't look like a bad option.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Elvira said...

Wow, this is how i feel too. Takes a lot of guts to step outside the "i love apple culture" and say what you said, but there are many of us out there. Good luck with linux!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home