Friday, September 16, 2005

Katrina Angst




Unforeseen circumstances and new opportunities have kept me and my monkey in the Dirty South for a few extra weeks. In a weird way, I am glad I was here to be witness to mayhem that ensued once rumors of an oil shortage got out. Mark my words, this is just a glimpse of things to come, so be prepared.

I am also saddened by the events following Hurricane Katrina's arrival. I am not going to go into a long trade about it, because if you have been glued to the tube like me, you're sick of hearing about it. But in short, after having my own personal disaster, I feel it does' compare to what the folks in the deep south went through. Not only did they not have neighbors to help them out, because their neighbors were in the same boat, definitely no pun intended, but the government, the stack of elected and appointed officials that are supposed to take care of you when the shit goes down, were not there when they needed them the most.

Like most, I was impressed with Kanye West's courage in denouncing this on live TV and going as far as saying, 'George Bush doesn't care about black people'. I nodded my head in agreement. If you have been paying attention the past 5 years, you would know the statement to be true. Following Kanye's Lead, The Legendary K.O. dropped a tracked entitled 'George Bush Don't Like Black People'. I first heard about the song at a BBQ last Sunday, and I was so floored by the immediacy and raw anger of it the I felt I needed to keep the ball rolling and help make the chorus a mantra for all to sing, and sing loud for Dubya and his cronies to hear.

I picked up the phone and called my friend Kris and asked to record as many newscasts as possible. I knew that timing would be essential and if I wanted to cut a video to this song, it would have to be done quickly. As always, I wish I had more time to spend on this little piece, but here it is in all it's rawness.

To viwew the clip click here and for Windows users click here.

With that off my chest, and since I am here in the ATL, check out what's happening this weekend and beyond.

The Edukators - I hope Landmark doesn't take this film down tonight, because it's a must see. If I were to make a feature film this is what it would look like. Also, I've finally seen a film that Felcia Feaster and I can agree on : )

The Seagull - Tim Haberger of the Push Push Theater is one of my heroes. He directs The Seagull, a play by Chekov, another example on why the Push Push and Co. are one of the best undiscovered secrets of this city. Through October 1 at the Push Push Theater.

Women in War - I was privy to watch the dress rehearsal of this heartbreaking and often funny take on women's roles during armed conflict. Don't fuck around and catch this one. September 17 - October 9 at Seven Stages.

Finally, Alex Rambaud, who acted in my film 'Join the Resistance: Fall in Love' and sang as part of Black Mona Lisa in 'Why I Love Shoplifting From Big Corporations' is in need of a drummer and a guitar player for his pop-punk ensemble. If you are interested email him here.

That's all folks, have a great weekend and be safe.

love//the_stimulator

10 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant see the vid.

Something wrong with this site???

I can see the movie trailers on the apple movie trailer site but not this vid. I have Windows XP and tried both IE6 and Firefox 1.0.6

I can see 'What Barry Says' video though. Dont know why this one cant work. Also it wont let me (drag) resize the 'What Barry Says' video.

 
At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't see the video either... only the audio will play.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent clip: emotive, engaging and, well ... excellent! :)

For people commenting that they can't see the clip, it's encoded with H.264 which needs Quicktime 7 to decode. There is an experimental H.264 codec for PC without Quicktime here (but I've not tried it out). Hope that helps!

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that video is just as un-educated and ignorant as kanye's comment was.

as far as the editing goes. i liked the look and edits but the bouncing images got to be a bit much after awhile.

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"24 Year old white male"
I just had the chance to watch your video and I must say that I am impressed. George Bush does not give a shit about those people. I dont think it is totally a race issue, but it is definitely a "CLASS" issue. If this were to happen in the Southern California area, you can bet your ass they would have been here quicker. I applaud you for having the balls to do this video.

Anyone that says that you are ignorant needs to wake the fuck up and get with the times. No longer do politicians care about the people, this country is about money and how fast you can make it. It's about special interest groups. Decisions about this country are no longer made in congress, they are made in boardrooms of giant corporations.
YOU AND I DO NOT MATTER!!!

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you destroyed the video with the zooming in and out. now i have a headache after watching it. if you get rid of the annoying zooming it would be great.

 
At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey liked your video. I've linked to it from my site. Couldn't get to submedia.com. Good luck with your future projects

Alephria's Archive

Alephria's Realm of Arcadian Dreams

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Franklin Lopez: The first time I saw your video was on Msn Videos. Loved it. Sent it to one (white) friend and one (black) relative. I don't use profanity or I would have sent it to more folks. My friend loved it too, I don't think my relative was able to play it. I have watched it countless times. It makes me laugh. As Langston Hughes often wrote "Laughing to Keep from Crying." I came to this site because I wanted to know who is Franklin Lopez and what makes him tick. I also wanted a way of telling you I admire your art and I get your point(s).

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frank that was a briliant remix.

The bounce visual had my fucking head bobbing in a good way.

nice work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home